[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:24:44 PST 2010

Most video displays have non-square pixels. Standard definition video
processing resolutions are 720 by 480 for NTSC and 720 by 576 for PAL though
both are 4 by 3 aspect ratio.
You can argue whether tv standards count as modern, but there are a lot out
there.

On 21 Nov 2010 16:56, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:

> I would point out that the MS proposal has an independent X and Y scaling
mechanism.

Does anyone know of any modern displays which have different X and Y
resolution?

> I believe that dpi ratio is simply set to "2" (or .5... sorry a bit rusty)
on the iOS 4 retina ...
There will be cases where zooming doesn't change device-pixel-ratio. Mobile
browsers tend to have a "fast" zoom out which doesn't change the layout
(mostly), and that might not change device-pixel-ratio. I think that's OK
for your use cases as long as device-pixel-ratio reports the ratio as if the
page is "zoomed in".

Rob
they received th...