[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Tue Nov 23 17:39:49 PST 2010

On 11/23/10 5:06 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com
> <mailto:kevinmarks at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Well, if we care about doing video processing with Canvas,
>     understanding anamorphic pixels is needed.
>

> You mean the aspect ratio of the video source? Sure, but here we're
> talking about the output device.
>
> Anyway, adding APIs to help browsers display better quality output on
> NTSC or PAL TVs seems like a waste of time to me.
TV use-cases seem like they'll become more prevalent, with Apple and
Google and their devices.

I could imagine that some window managers might introduce strange
pixel-bending effects; but that's just imagination.
I don't think we can speculate that much on output devices of the future...

In any case, I think we're just talking about limiting the scope of
support to exposing an X and Y ratio, instead of just exposing a single
value. If the scope goes further, yes it may be a waste of time.
Otherwise though, I think it's more a concern about
precision/conciseness than it is about an investment of time/resources.
That said, display technologies are over my head.