[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Wed Nov 24 00:09:07 PST 2010

On 11/21/2010 4:12 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com
> <mailto:chuck at jumis.com>> wrote:
>
>     Rob: Mobile deployments using dpiPixelRatio (as has been adopted
>     by Moz and Webkit) and target-DpiDensity work well on the mobile,
>     they are not hooked to zoom on the desktop,
>

> It is in Firefox.
I just tested in 4b7, and it's not changing dpiPixelRatio.

I'm still at a loss on why exposing additional metrics in window.screen
is distasteful.
You currently expose availWidth/availHeight, etc.

I'm not saying this to discount your proposals, or distract from
dpiPixelRatio as a viable option.

Why is exposing more properties to window.screen is a non-starter?

MS has already opened it up; webkit devs may have some opinions on it,
and I'll let you know when I hear them.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535868(VS.85).aspx
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535868%28VS.85%29.aspx>

I agree it may not be a 20-year solution, but it could certainly work
for this generation of browsers.
It doesn't *need* to be a Canvas-use case.  As I've stated, it could
apply just as well to images.

-Charles