[whatwg] need a way to set output format from StreamRecorder

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Fri Nov 26 11:10:50 PST 2010

Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> schrieb am Thu, 25 Nov 2010
20:01:37 +1100:

> Also, implementing WebM or Ogg Theora encoding is just as royalty-free
> as decoding them, so Mozilla, Opera and Google wouldn't need to worry
> there.

Slightly offtopic: Anyone considering the low-bandwith audio use case?
Surely, speex might be useful here — even a throttled UMTS connection
suffices for VoIP.

> So, the browsers would implement support for those codecs for which
> they already implement decoding support - maybe with the exception of
> Chrome which decode MPEG-4, but may not want to encode it, since it
> might mean extra royalties.

And probably less WebM content, too boot. Decoding, but not encoding
MPEG formats could certainly fit into a royalty-free formats agenda,
depending on the level of aggressiveness Google is wishing to take.

> It would be nice if we could all, say, encode WebM, but I don't see
> that happening.

I see what you did there.

Greetings,
--