[whatwg] need a way to set output format from StreamRecorder

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:20:37 PST 2010

In deed for audio all browsers except IE9 currently support WAV in
their media elements, which makes it a reasonable recording format and
acceptable for saving to the server. For communication between browser
instances - in particular when used for conferenceing - I can see the
need for a compressed format.

Speex is a reasonable low-bandwidth codec, but for speech only and not
for general audio. I would wait with choosing a low-bandwidth codec
until the IETF's new "Internet Wideband Audio Codec" [1] Working Group
finalizes their codec definition, since that will be a low-bandwidth
codec not restricted to speech. It will be an unencumbered codec
called "Opus" and is making great progress, see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg02029.html .

Cheers,
Silvia.

[1] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/codec/charter/