[whatwg] Exposing filenames in DataTransfer

Daniel Cheng dcheng at chromium.org
Wed Oct 20 17:20:57 PDT 2010

To clarify, I wasn't proposing that pages need to know details of a
particular OS. Things like "text/plain", "text/uri-list", "text/html", etc.
are automatically mapped by the UA to whatever the appropriate platform
idiom is.

I just thought it would be useful to also expose things that the UA itself
doesn't natively understand--it just gets passed through to the web content.
However, this led to the above problem with filenames being exposed. This
can, to some extent, be mitigated by blacklisting certain types; I'm just
wondering if people feel that the additional utility is worth the risk of
potentially exposing file paths because of a chatty file manager, or if
anyone has any ideas on how to mitigate this risk.

Daniel