[whatwg] Video with MIME type application/octet-stream

Zachary Ozer zach at longtailvideo.com
Wed Sep 1 09:40:25 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:
>   Hard coding the type is only possible if the element uses a <source>
> element, @type isn't allowed on <audio> or <video>.

Why isn't type allowed for <video> and <audio>? I know it doesn't
strictly make sense (since the tag doesn't have a type per-se), but
perhaps it could be an alias for the current item's type, much in the
same way src is the current source.

>   It isn't hard to update a server if you control it, but it can be *very*
> difficult and time consuming if you don't (as is the case with most web
> developers, I assume).

Correct - but being able to manually specify "type" should be fine for
those situations, since that can be written into the HTML itself.

>   Really? Your company specializes in web video and flv files have been
> around for years, but your own server still isn't configured for it:

Thanks for the heads up on this. However, I think this reemphasizes my
original point: The Flash platform *isn't* strict about MIME types, so
we've never bothered to do anything about it.