[whatwg] Video with MIME type application/octet-stream

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 04:38:53 PDT 2010

On 07.09.2010 12:52, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> IE9, Safari and Chrome ignore Content-Type in a <video> context and rely
> on sniffing. If you want Content-Type to be respected, convince the
> developers of those 3 browsers to change. If not, it's quite inevitable
> that Opera and Firefox will eventually have to follow.

We have heard that Safari sniffs for compatibility with content
previously consumed by Quicktime, and that IE9 may sniff because they
(currently) can't pass the content-type to the decoding machinery (or
something like that).

So you really would have to standardize sniffing in the browsers, but
also in the components they delegate video display to. Good luck with that.

Best regards, Julian