[whatwg] Video with MIME type application/octet-stream

Andy Berkheimer andyberkheimer at youtube.com
Thu Sep 9 16:38:59 PDT 2010

Much of this discussion has focused on the careless server operator.  What
about the careful ones?

Given the past history of content sniffing and security warts, it is useful
- or at least comforting - to have a path for the careful server to indicate
"I know this file really is intended to be handled as this type, please
don't sniff it".  This is particularly true for a server handling sanitized
files from unknown sources, as no sanitizer will be perfect.

Today we approximate this through accurate use of Content-Type and a recent
addition of X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff.

Never sniffing sounds idyllic and always sniffing makes life a bit riskier
for careful server operators.  The proposals of limiting video/audio
sniffing to a few troublesome Content-Types are quite reasonable.

-Andy