[whatwg] VIDEO Timeupdate event frequency.

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Sep 10 21:20:22 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> > I think an ideal API for video frame processing would involve handing
> video
> > frames to a Worker for processing.
>
> Mm, yeah, probably.  But then you'd need to be able to do canvas on
> workers, and hand the data back...  This is a complex problem.

Most of the usecases I've seen just do get/putImageData, so it might make
sense to just provide raw frame data to the Worker and not introduce a
canvas dependency.

So...  no newframe event for now, leave timeupdate as it is, and fix
> this in the future?

I think so. Another factor is that a lot of the video effects people have
been using canvas for can actually be done with SVG filters, which can be
GPU-accelerated and are compatible with asynchronous compositing. So it
might be wise to focus on use-cases for video processing that aren't
amenable to SVG filters (or extensions thereof), and understand what their
requirements are.

Rob