[whatwg] Stream API feedback

Nicklas Sandgren nicklas.sandgren at ericsson.com
Wed Sep 15 01:26:29 PDT 2010

Hello,

A typical video chat application would contain some view finder code similar to
the example in the Working Draft document:

<video autoplay></video>
<script>
function update(stream) {
   document.getElementsByTagName('video')[0].src = stream.url;  }
</script>

But assuming that the Stream is a combination of both audio and video media this is
actually not what you want in a video chat, because you will also play back your own
audio to yourself.

To solve this in our implementation we defined two fragments, "audio" and "video",
for the Stream url. The application then can address a specific media component
in the Stream like this:

document.getElementsByTagName('video')[0].src = stream.url + "#video";

Is there some other way to solve this?

Anyone curiuos can find more information on what we have been experimenting with here:
https://labs.ericsson.com/blog/beyond-html5-conversational-voice-and-video-implemented-webkit-gtk

br
Nicklas Sandgren