[whatwg] Web Storage, Editor's Draft 20 August 2010 - Request for enhancement

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Thu Sep 16 03:54:15 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Eric Uhrhane <ericu at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Jim Williams <jgwilliams at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
> > I see localStorage and sessionStorage as a chance to fix things that
> weren't
> > so good with cookies.  So I'd be interested to know what factors actively
> > promote the failure to come up with a common browser-independent
> interface
> > for localStorage.  Do browser builders actually have something to gain by
> > resisting interoperability here?
>
> I think you're coming at it from a quite different point of view than
> browser builders usually have.  When we implement e.g. our
> localStorage database, having it use the same file format as Opera is
> the furthest thing from our mind.  Even if we wanted to share data
> with them, how would we make sure that we didn't both write the file
> at the same time?  How would we know when to update our in-memory
> state from disk?  What if you had multiple Firefox profiles that each
> used a different set of cookies--which profile should sync with Opera?
>
> These are huge problems and lots of work, and for very little payoff.

Agreed.  The number of people who use only one computer but multiple
browsers pales in comparison to those who use multiple computers.  Thus one
user being able to use two browsers that share information
would benefit very few users (at the expense of a lot of work).  There are
much bigger fish to fry.