[whatwg] Please consider adding a couple more datetime <input> types - type="year" and type="month-day"

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 19:20:47 PDT 2010

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>> But there are users who don't know how to convert from "¾¼ÏÂxxǯ" to
>> year 19xx (like my parents and grandparents who has to spend at least
>> half a minute recalling their birth years in Gregorian calendar), and
>> only remember their birth years in ¾¼ÏÂxx.  Some people even buy a
>> conversion table and keep it in their wallet just so that they can
>> convert between two systems.  Forcing them to remember their birth years
>> in 19xx isn't user-friendly and simply a poor UI localization.

fwiw, i recently visited a friend who noted that none of their family
recall their gregorian dates. They use a biblical calendar scheme. I
have absoutely no sympathy for them. i've had free apps which handle
this problem for nearly two decades. If you ever enter these dates,
your date will be stored by your browser. and if your browser has
integration to your contacts/calendar, then it could retrieve a
gregorian date from the calendar which might display dates to you in
some other scheme.

this is *not* a reason to have html support the scheme. it is a reason
that browsers should support better integration with other
applications and formats.

we already have bobby tables killing systems. and there is a case of
the cell phone which contributed to a murder for lack of a simple dot
and an eye(i). we do not need people crashing database by sending
formats.

a few hours ago i rejected a caledar invite because it was written
with Finnish words instead of using gregorian numbers. note that the
meeting was probably confidential so i couldn't simply paste the
invite into google translate.

computers are wonderful things, they work really well with a single
standard. and really poorly with too many from which to choose (utf7
attacks, wap content - yes, hotels.com served it to my opera browser).

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Christoph Päper wrote:
>> - Input two-digit year, transmit four-digit year.
> Do sites really want to support two-digit years? Other than for credit
> card expiry dates, I really don't remember the last time I entered a
> two-digit year.

hotels.com at least, be sure you get the en us non mobile site.
reservations can't be made 100 years in advance, i suppose western
union could do it for Marty, but no one else does, and even they bet
on it. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_Part_II

most travel sites i deal with like supporting two digit years.
any time you use magic (js) to jump the user's cursor around, things
tend to break. (especially with this browser which drops key presses
anyway).