[whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

Shiv Kumar skumar at exposureroom.com
Sun Sep 19 19:57:20 PDT 2010

I'll try and respond to everyone that's replied...

First I do want to make clear that it's not about being able to do things via script, but rather declaratively via attributes to the extent possible. At least that's the way I feel Html should be. That is, to the extent possible, Html should be self sufficient, without requiring JavaScript to get the job done. I mean that is the direction we're trying to take Html 5 in isn't it? All of the things people have been doing over the years using JavaScript are finding their way into the Html spec (such as date, validations, required etc.).

I'm glad to see that people do see the need to change (or specify in more detail) the behavior of the poster at least insofar as it disappearing before the video is played. As far as I know, every major browser (IE 9 beta, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera) do this. So I wouldn't categorize this as a bug but rather that the spec needs to be specific about this case.

As regards having control over the poster's visibility using attributes/script, the use case I can think of is, that currently there is no way to make it visible if one wanted to. Typically, we show the poster after the video has ended because it implies to our users that they can play the video again if they want to. And the poster *is* the identifier of the video and not a usually black frame and content producers frequently want us to show the poster after the video has ended.

Seeing that there is no way to show it again (after it has disappeared) I think that there should be a way to make it visible. Website developers are then free to make the choice for themselves. As it stands now, one is forced to overlay an image over the video tag and not have any use for the poster attribute if one wants to turn on the poster.

Yes, I know one can assign/un-assign the poster attribute. But really is that how we see functionality of a new spec is to be implemented? And even this solution will not make the poster visible when required (or when desired).

Shiv
http://exposureroom.com