[whatwg] File Upload Progress Event (Upload Progress)

Shiv Kumar skumar at exposureroom.com
Mon Sep 20 02:10:21 PDT 2010

>Well, events aren't "declarative", and you explicitly
>asked for progress events ;)

Ok, without getting into semantics...

If I have:

<input type="file" id="somefilefield" onuploadprogress="displayProgress()"/>

for example is a lot more approachable (and easy to modify existing code) than having to submit the form using the FileAPI or FormData along with XMLHttpRequest. And yes you can create a Javascript library method that submits the form for you by passing it the id of the form element, but you'll still need to implement that event handler to be able to customize it the way you need. So rather than go full circle, let's just have any event :)

The onuploadprogress event could either be on the <form> or on the <input>. Having it on the input gives you the ability to show progress for multiple files, however, browsers may choose the upload one file at a time.

I'm not saying the scripting method is not useful or should not be there. The html way should be an option. And yes, I know the XmlHttpRequest along with FormData does not require any server side support (besides standard multipart/form-data support). I mentioned that that's how one has to do it today due to the lack of this feature.

Shiv
http://exposureroom.com