[whatwg] Form element invalid message

Shiv Kumar skumar at exposureroom.com
Mon Sep 20 15:38:50 PDT 2010

Scenario 1:

We now have the option define if an element is required and the form will
validate the value such elements before submission. That's a step in the
right direction. However, it so happens different implementation do
different things in the case when the validation return false.

Some browsers, have no visual indication (probably due to lack of support at
this time)

Some browsers will outline the field in question

Some will pop up a message under the field in question. The message is
something cryptic like "You have to specify a value".

Scenario 2:

That's one aspect I'd like to talk about. The other aspect is that
typically, you don't want to show only one error as a time to the end user.
You want to show them all validation errors after trying to submit the form
one time (this is the common practice as well), rather than forcing them to
submit a form multiple times to discover validation issues one by one. As
you can imagine this is a nightmare for the end-user.

For the first scenario I'd like to propose that we have a validationMessage
attribute (or some other name) that allows web developers to specify a more
appropriate (based on the type of input data required and/or the input type
such as text, url, email etc.), user friendly/business friendly and creative
error message rather than some unknown message (as different vendors will
likely have their own verbiage).

For the second scenario I guess the spec should be clear about validating
all fields? I'm not sure what the spec for this is (I can't seem to find
anywhere that details the validation process for forms).

What are your thoughts on the above?

Shiv

http://exposureroom.com <http://exposureroom.com/>