[whatwg] Form element invalid message

Shiv Kumar skumar at exposureroom.com
Tue Sep 21 13:35:30 PDT 2010

>That doesn't seem cryptic to me.

Come now Aryeh :). Imagine this scenario. On a web page/form, I'm asking the user to enter her social security number and she sees a message "You have to specify a value", you're saying that sounds ok to you? Oh, and the next browser will say something like, "This is a required field". What then?

>The best UI would probably be to report the error for one form field
>as soon as the user tries to navigate to the next, actually (as well
>as the final check at submission that the spec mandates).  The idea is
>that as more browsers deploy form validation, they'll come up with
>good UI for it,

I guess what I'm saying is there should be ways to hook into all of this. That will give people the option to do their own thing but using the plumbing that's in place. I'm really not asking the browser UI implementation. I think we should have a scriptable/event driven way to hook into all this. There are a bunch of toolkits that do this and allow one to hook into the process, making it customizable. If it's not customizable, it's not useful for the majority.

>If you do want to override the browser's error messages, there are
>JavaScript APIs provided for it.

I wasn't aware of this, I apologize. Where can I find this. I spent a lot of time going through the docs before I posted. Note that checkValidity() and setCustomValidity(message) are not the solution for this.

Shiv
http://exposureroom.com