[whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

Shiv Kumar skumar at exposureroom.com
Tue Sep 21 19:52:30 PDT 2010

>I've also stated that I believe that the poster should indeed be displayed
when the video element is just loaded and not on autoplay. And I have agreed
that >there should be a possibility to have that state return after the
video has played through

Yes, you have and so we're (thankfully) on the same page and so are some
others. Whew!

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that there is a dire need to show the poster
anytime during plaback. But it is a use case that is currently in use by a
well known website and there may be others as well. I (ExposureRoom, really)
have a need to show the poster at the end of the video and we allow content
producers to control that, meaning they can choose not to).

You and I and a couple of other don't see eye to eye on how this "fix" needs
to be brought to fore. I'm specitcal about the load() method and stated why
in previous posts.

What if someone does not want to show the poster at the end. YouTube and
Vimeo are examples of that user case. How do you propose they have the
option to not show the poster?

So in order to provide this flexibility and make the video element useable
insofar as the features it does provide, I still feel providing a method to
turn it on/off satisfies the current use cases, including those we may not
agree with. Yes, using the removeAttribute is a hack when the needs have
been clearly demonstrated (I believe).

Shiv

 <http://exposureroom.com/> http://exposureroom.com