[whatwg] Low Memory Event

Rob Evans rob at mtn-i.com
Mon Sep 27 15:30:57 PDT 2010

I think one of the most useful things that a js script could know is how
much memory is available and how much the current page is using. I'm writing
a js game engine and knowing how much I can safely site in memory would be
incredibly useful!

That way I can do everything to maximize engine performance. I could
determine how large I could make a canvas element, how much data I can store
client side in arrays or if need be, switch to asking the server for data
more often and storing less client side.

In a business use case, our company sends lots of data to the client to make
the user interface as responsive as possible rather than having to wait for
a server response to every query, but if the client doesn't have the memory,
we could switch to more server calls and less storage.

The use is valid and very helpful.