[whatwg] Scriptable interface for video element FullScreen mode

Kevin Carle kcarle at google.com
Tue Sep 28 15:50:22 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Mikko Rantalainen <
> mikko.rantalainen at peda.net> wrote:
>
>> What kind of digesting and analyzing do you think is required? An UA is
>> free to implement support for this API in a way that will ever accept
>> the request only if the requested element is the video element. In that
>> case, the API is a specialized video fullscreen API only.
>>

> In fact, there has been a lot of clear feedback that an API that only works
> on video elements is unlikely to get much use, since major video sites very
> strongly prefer to use their own player UI in fullscreen mode. And of course
> their own player UI consists of non-video elements...

Yes, especially since default player controls don't allow many of the
features of more complicated players.

On YouTube, for example, you can't do any of the following without our UI:

   - Change resolution
   - Change playback speed
   - Turn captions on or off
   - Turn annotations on or off (someday, right now this is only in Flash
   though)

If the fullscreen experience is significantly restricted compared to the
in-browser experience, users aren't going to be happy.

-Kevin