[whatwg] Proposal for a web application descriptor

Dave Raggett dsr at w3.org
Fri Apr 29 07:47:57 PDT 2011

You may also want to look at the ideas being floated by Mozilla and
others for installed web apps to request extra privileges. This is
expected to lead to a new W3C Working Group within a few months from
now, and I am hoping to see progress on being able to run the browser in
a locked down mode that is more secure than is the default for web pages
today (e.g. no eval, constrained innerHTML), and to then make a single
request for a list of privileges:

http://dougt.org/wordpress/2011/03/device-api-permission-management/
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs/browse_thread/thread/e592b27e54b7f857
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/docs/feat-perms/feat-perms.html
<http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/docs/feat-perms/feat-perms.html#capability>

Some challenges include:

   *  how to justify the request to the user being asked to grant the
privileges
      starting with a text string and a link to more information

   *  white and black lists for well behaved and evil applications -
which leads
      on to the role of trust delegation for improved usability  and whether
      crowd based recommendations are practical

We should think how to work together with Mozilla, Google and others on
a joint proposal as this is likely to have greater chance of widespread
adoption than doing something in isolation.

--
  Dave Raggett<dsr at w3.org>  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett