[whatwg] Styling <details>

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Fri Apr 8 14:20:11 PDT 2011

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Jukka K. Korpela
> <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> <details> is definitely something we want to make fully
>>> author-stylable.
>>
>> I don’t. Who’s this ”we” you are talking about, and why do they want
>> to make <details> author-stylable even before a single browser has
>> _any_ support to the element, at the functional level?
>
> "We" being, I suspect, the browser community.

Thank you for the clarification. I would prefer seeing _one_ decent
implementatiom of <details> before considering any fine tuning.

> If that's overreaching,
> then I'm content to say that *I* want it to be fully author-stylable,

The primary question, as I see it, is to get decent implementations in the
first place. I don’t see crowds of authors yelling for author-stylability.

>> Does it? Why do you imply the visual concept of a ”disclosure
>> triangle”, and how does that relate to the behavior proposed for
>> ”::marker” in some draft?
>
> I don't understand the question.

Why does <details> need to have any ”disclosure triangle”?

> However, the default visual behavior
> of <details> is suggested in the HTML spec.

You misspelled ”the current HTML(5) draft/sketch”. And I would not take it
as more than a suggestion in a work in progress, which is what it really is.

>> I know that many CSS property names are misleading. But
>> list-style-type, as defined in published CSS recommendations, isn’t
>> bound to any ”::marker”.
>
> It certainly is, in the Lists spec.

Please cite the recommendation by its official name and/or URL.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/