[whatwg] Cache Manifest: why have FALLBACK?

Ilkka Huotari ilkkah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 05:10:27 PDT 2011

> My initial thought is that including offline resources in a section entitled
> NETWORK will lead to more confusion among developers rather than less.

Well, the FALLBACK section is intended to access to network too, isn't
that right? I mean the resources in it are supposed to be fetched from
the network (with the fallback resource). The section name (FALLBACK)
doesn't reflect that though, it doesn't particularly reflect the fact
that it is going to access the network.  So, from this point too, I
think it would make sense to combine them?

Of course the section name NETWORK doesn't reflect the fact that there
might be an offline resource, but I don't think it would be a huge
problem? It would be backwards compatible which would be a nice point.

Also, other benefits could include that a simpler (shorter) spec could
perhaps make its further development/evolution easier.

I'm a new developer with HTML5 so these are my experiences from the
past few months, and can be off sometimes. But I thought I should
share them anyway.

Regards,
Ilkka