[whatwg] microformats, microdata, and custom data attributes

André Luís andreluis.pt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:45:05 PDT 2011

On 19 April 2011 22:36, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Justin Karneges <justin at affinix.com>
> wrote:
> is
> >>
> >> The strength of the Microformats community is in helping to define the
> >> vocabulary, that's a different issue from the format you'll use to
> >> represent it.
> >
> > Ah, I simply assumed these were two competing approaches.  Does this mean
> > Microdata has no community behind it to work on vocabulary?
>
> Microdata is a syntax for encoding vocabularies into an HTML page,
> similar to how class/rel can be a syntax for encoding vocabularies.
> The vocabularies themselves can be defined largely ignorant of the
> encoding syntax, as long as the vocab's underlying data-structure ends
> up being more-or-less tree-based (vocabularies defined for RDF are
> officially graph-based, but in practice can usually be treated as
> tree-based).
>

> > In any case, I think the Person object defined by data-vocabulary.orgshould
> > work for my purposes.  But, if I feel the need to invent something new, I
> can
> > propose it to the Microformats community first if that's the right
> process.  I
> > am quite new to these communities.

Hmm.. I'm not really sure we need anything more than simple HTML semantics
(given by the spec) and a small microformat/microdata.

I'll use <q> or <blockquote> in the example.

fn">Justin</span> said:</span>
<q cite="http://example.com/justin/msg/12345">I agree.</q>

or

">Justin</a></p>

If you prefer microdata:
(just the Person bit)

     <a itemprop="url" href="http://example.com/justin">
     </a>

If you still think you need a more formal vocabulary, please read:
http://microformats.org/wiki/process

Cheers,
--
André Luís