[whatwg] File API Streaming Blobs

Eric U ericu at google.com
Mon Aug 8 13:17:20 PDT 2011

Sorry about the very slow response; I've been on leave, and am now
catching up on my email.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Arun Ranganathan <arun at mozilla.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> media files from a server and cache them locally, as well as playing
>> them without making the user wait for the entire file to be
>> downloaded, converted to a blob, then saved and played, however such
>> an API covers many other use cases such as on-the-fly on-device
>> decryption of streamed media content (ie live streams either without
>> end or static large files that to download completely would be a waste
>> when only the first couple of seconds need to be buffered and
>> decrypted before playback can begin)
>>
>> Some suggestions were to modify or create a new type of Blob, the
>> StreamingBlob which can be changed without its object url changing and
>> appended to as new data is downloaded or decoded, and using a similar
>> process to how large files may start to be decoded/played by a browser
>> before they are fully downloaded. Other suggestions suggested using a
>> pull API on the Blob so browsers can request for new data
>> asynchronously, such as in
>>
>> <http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-January/029998.html>
>>
>> Some problems however that a browser may face is what to do with urls
>> which are opened twice, and whether the object url should start from
>> the beginning (which would be needed for decoding encrypted, on-demand
>> audio) or start from the end (similar to `tail`, for live streaming
>> events that need decryption, etc.).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> P.S. Sorry if I've not done this the right way by forwarding like
>> this, I'm not usually active on mailing lists.
>>

> I actually think moving to a streaming mode for file reads in general is
> desirable, but I'm not entirely sure extending Blobs is the way to go for
> *that* use case, which honestly is the main use case I'm interested in.  We
> may improve upon ideas after this API goes to Last Call for streaming file
> reads; hopefully we'll do a better job than other non-JavaScript APIs out
> there :) [1].  Blob objects as they are currently specified live "in memory"
> and represent "in memory" File objects as well.  A change to the underlying
> file isn't captured in the Blob snapshot; moreover, if the file moves or is
> no longer present at time of read, an error event is fired while processing
> a read operation.  The object URL may be dereferenced, but will result in a
> 404.
>
> The Streaming API explored by WHATWG uses the Object URL scheme for
> videoconferencing use cases [2], and so the scheme itself is suitable for
> "resources" that are more dynamic than memory-resident Blob objects.
>  Segment-plays/segment dereferencing in general can be handled through media
> fragments; the scheme can naturally be accompanied by fragment identifiers.
>
> I agree that it may be desirable to extend Blobs to do a few other things in
> general, maybe independent of better file reads.  You've Cc'd the right
> listserv :)  I'd be interested in what Eric has to say, since BlobBuilder

Having reviewed the threads, I'm not absolutely sure that we want to
add this stuff to Blob.  It seems like streaming is quite a bit
different than a lot of the problems people want to solve with Blobs,
and we may end up with a bit of a mess if we mash them together.
BlobBuilder does seem a decent match as a StreamBuilder, though.
Since Blobs are specifically non-mutable, it sounds like what you're
looking for is more like createObjectURL(blobBuilder) than
createObjectURL(blobBuildler.getBlob()).

>From the threads and from my head, here are some questions:

1) Would reading from a stream always start at the beginning, or would
it start at the "current" point [e.g. in a live video stream]?
2) Would this have to support infinite streams?
3) Would we be expected to keep around data from the very beginning of
a stream, even if e.g. it's a live broadcast and you're now watching
hour 7?  If not, who controls the buffer size and what's the API for
data lifetime?
4) Should there be a way to get a stream from XHR directly?  [It's
probably not sufficient for all uses or necessary for any.]
5) Do we want a pull API such as Glenn suggests at
[http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-January/029998.html],
instead of using BlobBuilder at all?

I haven't fully absorbed the MediaStream API, but perhaps it would be
more natural to make a connector in that API rather than modifying
Blob?