[whatwg] AppCache-related e-mails

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Tue Aug 2 16:19:49 PDT 2011

>> A common request that maybe we can agree upon is the ability to list the
>> manifests that are cached and to delete them via script. Something
like...
>>   String[] window.applicationCache.getManifests();  // returns appcache
>> manifest for the origin
>>   void window.applicationCache.deleteManifest(manifestUrl);
>
> This is trivial to do already; just return 404s for all the manifests you
> no longer want to keep around.

It involves creating hidden iframes loaded with pages that refer to the
manifests to be deleted, straightforward but gunky.

>> 0. [DONE] A means of not invoking the fallback resource for some error
>> returned. An additional response header would suite they're needs...
>> something like...
>> x-chromium-appcache-fallback-override: disallow-fallback
>> If a response header is present with that value, the fallback response
would
>> not be returned.
>> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=82066
>
> What's the use case? When would you ever want to show the user an error
> yet really desire to indicate that it's an error and not a 200 OK
response?

Google Docs. Instead of seeing a fallback page that erroneously says "You
must be offline and this document is not available.", they wanted to show
the actual error page generated by the server in the case of a deleted
document or when the user doesn't have rights to access that doc.