[whatwg] Fixing undo on the Web - UndoManager and Transaction

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Fri Aug 5 09:57:52 PDT 2011

On Aug 4, 2011 5:31 PM, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>
wrote:

>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 23:40:27 +0200, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org>
wrote:

>>> Mn... but I think it's more convenient to be able to access undoManager
from document.  Also, what if there were no body?  undoManager needs to
exist in such cases as well (e.g. designMode).

nothing visible on the screen so I am not sure it matters if things are lost
in that case. That is such an edge case and not really worth having an
additional member on Document for.

> Not sure.  This happens all the time in design mode.  We've had plenty of
crash reports that only reproduce when there are no document element.

> It might also be hard to implement such a behavior in WebKit at least
because documents / frames have the undo stack managed by OS X or embedders
and having to fake non-existence of the undo stack might be tricky.

Why treat documentElement specially here? Just make the documentElement
*not* have a undoManager by default and have it just use it's ancestor's,
just like all other elements.

The document is an ancestor of the documentElement after all.

/ Jonas