[whatwg] createObjectURL(stream) protocol issue

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Fri Aug 12 16:48:02 PDT 2011

Putting implementation details aside, I agree that it is a bit unfortunate
to refer to a stream as a blob.  So far, blobs have always referred to
static, fixed-size things.

This function was originally named createBlobURL, but it was renamed
createObjectURL precisely because we imagined it being useful to pass things
that were not blobs to it.  It seems reasonable that passing a Foo object to
createObjectURL might mint a different URL type than what we would mint for
a Bar object.

It could also be the case that using blob: for referring to Blobs was
unfortunate.  Maybe we do not really need separate URL schemes for static,
fixed size things and streams.

Hmm...
-Darin