[whatwg] Fixing undo on the Web - UndoManager and Transaction

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 25 16:06:51 PDT 2011

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

> In the last couple of weeks, I've been working with developers of
> CKEditor, TinyMCE, and Google Docs to come up with *new API for undo and
> redo*.

I've removed the old UndoManager API from the HTML spec since your
proposal seems far more thought out!

Here are some quick comments on it:

 - The Transaction interface should be named something less generic, e.g.
   UndoTransaction or something.

 - "must return the object implementing the UndoManager interface" should
   probably clarify _which_ object. There's presumably more than one
   object in the world implementing this interface. :-)

 - We need to figure out how UndoManager objects affect the bfcache and
   the document "salvageable" flag. Please ping me on IRC about this.

 - What's the story with window.onundo and window.onredo? Should they be
   dropped?

In removing the UndoManager stuff I discovered that actually there was
nothing other than the editing stuff that referred to it, so once I've
removed the editing stuff there won't be a direct reference from the HTML
spec to the undo/redo spec. Presumably Aryeh's editing spec will reference
it, though? Looks like right now the 'undo' and 'redo' execCommand()s are
undefined. I presume that most of the execCommand()s are going to end up
defined as undo transactions, is that right?