[whatwg] Default encoding to UTF-8?

Sergiusz Wolicki sergiusz at wolicki.com
Thu Dec 1 09:48:16 PST 2011

I have read section 4.2.5.5 of the WHATWG HTML spec and I think it is
sufficient.  It requires that any non-US-ASCII document has an explicit
character encoding declaration. It also recommends UTF-8 for all new
documents and for authoring tools' default encoding.  Therefore, any
document conforming to HTML5 should not pose any problem in this area.

The default encoding issue is therefore for old stuff.  But I have seen a
lot of pages, in browsers and in mail, that were tagged with one encoding
and encoded in another.  Hence, documents without a charset declaration are
only one of the reasons of garbage we see. Therefore, I see no point in
trying to fix anything in browsers by changing the ancient defaults
(risking compatibility issues). Energy should go into filing bugs against
misbehaving authoring tools and into adding proper recommendations and
education in HTML guidelines and tutorials.

Thanks,
Sergiusz