[whatwg] Proposal in supporting the writing of "Arabizi"

Mark Callow callow_mark at hicorp.co.jp
Thu Dec 1 22:28:48 PST 2011

I think what is being requested by the OP is very very different from
the things being requested in the W3C bugs linked from the below
referenced wiki page (which seem like good ideas, but please ensure that
'+' can be entered in phone numbers).

As Sergiusz Wolicki pointed the OP is requesting an IME and IMEs already
exist for several languages. The corollary of this is that hooks for
IMEs exist in all major operating systems. As Sergiusz also pointed out,
users will want this functionality available in any text field.  I think
it would be better to develop an Arabic IME for the OS rather than
embedding it in browsers. Maybe such a thing already exists.

Have you any idea of the size of the dictionary and supporting data
needed for the Japanese IME? It is quite large. I do not think browser
vendors will want to bloat their products with large IME dictionaries
for even one language so any browser-based IMEs will inevitably become
separate downloads. In which case there is no benefit compared to a
separately downloaded OS-based IME and the disadvantage that it can't be
used with any text field on the system.

Regards

    -Mark