[whatwg] Default encoding to UTF-8?

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 00:32:12 PST 2011

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:29:31 -0500, L. David Baron <dbaron at dbaron.org>
wrote:

> I changed my Firefox from the ISO-8859-1 default to UTF-8 years ago
> (by changing the "intl.charset.default" preference)

Just to add, in Opera, you can goto "Ctrl + F12 -> General tab -> Language
section -> Details" and set "Encoding to assume for pages lacking
specification" to utf-8. Or, do it via
<opera:config#Fallback%20HTML%20Encoding>.

I tried this years ago, but don't remember if it caused any problems on
any web sites I visited. But, I quit setting it to utf-8 because I'd
forget about it and it affected some web page encoding test cases where
others would get different results on the tests because they had it set at
the default (don't remember the details of the tests).

--
Michael