[whatwg] WebVTT feedback (and some other <video> feedback that snuck in)

David Singer singer at apple.com
Fri Dec 2 05:38:13 PST 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 11:58 , Simon Pieters wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 01:34:15 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> If we are to add language information to the language, there's four ways
>> to do it: inline, cue-level, block-level (a section of the file, e.g.
>> setting a default at different points in the file), and file-level.

5. externally (e.g. a lang tag on the element that embeds the VTT file).  (Though this is not exclusive with the above 4, and there is some argument for intrinsic tagging, as it goes with the file)

>> Inline would look like this:
>>
>>   WEBVTT
>>
>>   cue id
>>   00:00:00.000 --> 00:00:01.000
>>
>> File-level would look like this:
>>
>>   WEBVTT
>>   language: fr
>
> Experience with <script language> suggests that people have trouble spelling it. If we add it, I suggest it be called "lang".
>

>>   cue id
>>   00:00:00.000 --> 00:00:01.000
>>   bonjour
>>
>> I suppose we'd need both. I wouldn't propose cue-level or block-level.
>>
>> How important is this for v1?

Very.  Correct rendering of some text requires that it be correctly labelled with a BCP-47 tag, as I understand.

For me, file-level default/overall setting, with the possibility of span-based over-rides, seems ideal.  I think.

David Singer