[whatwg] WebVTT feedback (and some other <video> feedback that snuck in)

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Fri Dec 2 10:07:14 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 4:03 AM, David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

> I guess I may be confused.
>
> I see two ways of rendering VTT (at least):
>
> 1) the UA interprets only VTT, and chooses 'suitable' fonts etc.

Without language metadata, this is impossible to do reliably for CJK text.

2) the UA interprets VTT with class markups and an associated CSS style
> sheet or sheets, and the author and the UA between them can go hog wild.
>
> In case (2), you get to use any fancy (preferably legible :-)) font you
> like, if the UA is willing to support it.

The only way you can do this with (2) is by naming fonts explicitly, which
is a bad way to go about it.  If content sets "MS Mincho" for JP, or
MingLiU for zh-TW, or SimSun for zh-CN, then the content won't render
correctly on any system that doesn't have those fonts (or know their names
and provide appropriate aliases).  It'll end up picking another CJK font,
and likely render the wrong glyphs.

(That's putting aside lesser things @lang helps with, like per-language
user font overrides.)

--