[whatwg] HTML5 named entity ≫ and ≪

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Wed Dec 14 10:40:04 PST 2011

2011-12-14 19:34, Ilhan Y. wrote:

> By the way, can we have Unicode names (HTML names) for Mercury, Sun,
> Earth and other planets. They are used by many astronomers on the
> internet.

Nice parody! But maybe people won’t take it as parody.

After all, there is no rationale given for the inclusion of new “named
character references,” so people might see the idea as asking authors to
submit new proposals for every possible and impossible character.

The whole idea of extending the repertoire is wrong. We have lived with
a certain set of entity references (now being renamed “named character
references”), widely supported by browsers, except possibly in XHTML
mode. Authors who need other characters can enter them as such, using
UTF-8 (which is being favored, is it not?) or using numeric character