[whatwg] creating a new file via the File API

Eric U ericu at google.com
Mon Dec 19 14:15:35 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Bronislav Klučka
<Bronislav.Klucka at bauglir.com> wrote:

> On 19.12.2011 17:05, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>>
>> 2011/12/19 Bronislav Klučka<Bronislav.Klucka at bauglir.com>:
>>>
>>> I agree, additional API for this would be better
>>> FileSaver is not exactly all you would need, because FileSaver is already
>>> implemented e.g. in Chrome
>>> to save file to browser file system (requestFileSystem).
>>
>> requestFileSystem is not FileSaver.
>>

> hi,
> I know, that was not what I was saying, it's an API to store data in File.
> The point is, that you can get File from FileSystem API as well,
> FileSaver API is already implemented and that did not solve anything.

The FileSaver object has not been implemented by any browser that I know of.

The FileSystem API has been implemented by Chrome.
It does not address this use case.

> FileSaver API is insufficient to solve this issue, what we need is file
> entry that actually represent exactly that file on
> user's disk, not in some pseudo file system.

The FileSystem API does in fact let you create a FileEntry that
represents exactly a file on disk.  That doesn't seem to be what you
want, though; I believe you actually want FileSaver, which may be
implemented some day, but hasn't been yet.

The conversation about it isn't moving very quickly, but it's not
dead.  It just hasn't been a high priority for anyone yet.