[whatwg] Replaced content layout differences for limited quirks mode

Elliott Sprehn esprehn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:36:24 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 12/21/11 6:19 PM, Elliott Sprehn wrote:
>>
>> This is
>> interesting because the documentation for almost standards mode states
>> that it only changes the way images are placed in tables.
>

> It changes the height of lines containing only replaced elements.  This can
> happen for all sorts of reasons, but the most common is a single replaced
> element in a table cell.

Yup, that's exactly what I observed, but I can't find documentation
that says that. Every page I can find about almost standards mode
talks about table cells. Even Mozilla's page says it's only for images
in table cells.

"""
"Almost standards" rendering mode is exactly the same as "standards"
mode in all details save one: the layout of images inside table cells
is handled as they are in Gecko's "quirks" mode
"""

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/

"""
which implements the vertical sizing of table cells traditionally and
not rigorously according to the CSS2 specification
"""

The word "exactly" in Mozilla's documentation makes this even more confusing.

- Elliott