[whatwg] Encodings and the web

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Thu Dec 22 06:33:35 PST 2011

On Tuesday 2011-12-20 12:01 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> If you are interested in helping out testing (and reverse engineering)
> multi-octet encodings please let me know. Any other input is much
> appreciated as well.

This seems like one of those areas where it may be substantially
easier to figure out what implementations do by looking at their
code than by reverse-engineering, at least for the implementations
whose code is available publicly.

Gecko's code lives in
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/intl/uconv/ .  There
are others who know it substantially better, but I or others could
probably answer questions you have about how it works and how to
understand it.

I'm not the right person for pointers to other implementations,
though.

-David