[whatwg] Appcache feedback

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Wed Feb 2 13:27:54 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Michael Nordman wrote:
>>
>> In section "6.6.6 Changes to the networking model" which applies to sub
>> resource loads, step 3 prevents returning fallback resources for
>> requested urls that fall into a network namespace.
>>
>> In section "6.5.1 Navigating across documents" which applies to main
>> resource loads, step 17 does not explicitly exclude returning fallbacks
>> for such urls.
>>
>> I doubt this difference is intentional, looks like step 17 needs some
>> <additional words>...
>>
>> "If the resource was not fetched from an application cache, and was to
>> be fetched using HTTP GET or equivalent, and its URL matches the
>> fallback namespace <but not the network namespace> of one or more
>> relevant application caches..."
>
> I assume you mean the online whitelist, not the "network namespace".
>
> I've adjusted the spec as you suggest.

Thank you.

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Michael Nordman wrote:

The premise of the feature request is that the "main" pages aren't
cached at all.

| I tried to use the HTML5 Application Cache to improve the performances
| of on-line sites (all the tutorials on the web write only about usage
| with off-line apps)

As for "why can't the pages just switch", I can't speak for andrea,
but i can guess that a redesign of that nature was out of scope and/or
would conflict with other requirements around how the url address
space of the app is defined.