[whatwg] How to handle multitrack media resources in HTML

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 19:10:32 PST 2011

Hi Eric,

That is an interesting use case. I had not considered that there were
any metadata tracks inside media resources that could be exposed, too.

The first thing that we would need is the commitment of browser
vendors to actually parse those metadata tracks and expose them to the
Web page through the TimedTrack mechanism. Since I don't know about
the types of tracks you are referring to, let me ask you some dumb
questions.

Are the metadata tracks that you are referring to encoded in the same
way into MP4 files as caption tracks? If so, is there a mime type on
that track? Or how do you identify what the different tracks contain?
Is there other software that pulls out all of these tracks and does it
in a generic way (i.e. not application-specific)?

I am asking because the @type attribute is just one way to let
JavaScript know about the content of the track. We also have the
@label attribute, which may actually be more appropriate in this case,
since it's data that is not meant for the browser to display, but to
hand on to JavaScript. I'm trying to find a way in which this will
work with the framework that we have created.

Another thing that we haven't talked about yet is how to handle
header-type meta data for WebVTT files, which is a similar problem to
what you are proposing. It might be an idea to add a field for meta
information to the API, but I am not sure yet if that is a good idea.

Cheers,
Silvia.