[whatwg] navigation shouldn't abort if canceled

Mike Wilson mikewse at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:46:49 PST 2011

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 2/2/11 3:22 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:
> > That does sound like a bug? I'd be curious to know what the
> > reasoning was for the existing sequence of steps.
>
>  From what I can tell, current browser behavior.

As I wrote in my initial post, my observation was actually
that this is contrary to current browser behaviour.
But I may be misinterpreting the consequences of the algorithm
as stated. Here's my test scenario in pseudo code:

1) load a page that has a beforeunload handler
2) the page has an img/link css/external script that is slow to
   load
3) navigate away from the page before the resource in (2) has
   completed loading
4) answer "stay on page" on the beforeunload prompt

According to
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#navigating-across-documen
ts
I would expect the resource in (2) to stop loading at (3), as
a result of aborting the document in the navigation
algorithm's step 9.

But this is not what I am seeing in Firefox 3.6 or even IE6
(I tested a number of other browsers too but don't have the
exact versions handy).
The external resources all complete loading, with load events
and all.

Did I miss something?

Best regards
Mike Wilson