[whatwg] AppCache feature request: An https manifest should be able to list resources from other https origins.

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Feb 7 15:27:16 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com> wrote:
> But... the risk you outline is not possible...
>
>> However, with the modification you are proposing, an attacker site
>> could forever pin this page the users app-cache. This means that if
>> there is a security bug in the page, the attacker site could exploit
>> that security problem forever since any javascript in the page will
>> continue to run in the security context of bunnies.com. So all of a
>> sudden the CORS headers that the site added has now had a severe
>> security impact.
>
> The bunnies.com page stored in the attacker's appcache will never be
> loaded into the context of bunnies.com. There are provisions in the
> the appcache system to prevent that. Those provisions guard against a
> this type of attack via HTTP.

Your proposal means that we forever lock that constraint on the
appcache. That is not currently the case. I.e. we'll never be able to
say "open an iframe using the resource which is available in my
appcache" or "open this cross-site worker using the resource available
in my appcache".

Or at least we won't ever be able to do that for cross-site resources.

/ Jonas