[whatwg] Javascript: URLs as element attributes

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Fri Feb 11 14:20:23 PST 2011

On 2/10/2011 12:09 PM, whatwg-request at lists.whatwg.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:43:11 -0500
> From: Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky at MIT.EDU>
> To: Adam Barth<w3c at adambarth.com>
>
> On 2/10/11 1:38 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> >  The connection is that these features are unlikely to get implemented
>> >  in WebKit anytime soon.  To the extent that we want the spec to
>> >  reflect interoperable behavior across browsers, speccing things that
>> >  aren't (and aren't likely to become) interoperable is a net loss.
> That's fine; I just think that if you mean "Don't specify this because
> we don't want to implement it and will refuse to do so" you should just
> say that instead of making it sound like there are unspecified security
> issues with the proposal.

Boris,
It's more often your group that makes a stand with merit-less refusals.
See devicePixelRatio and CSS scrollbar styling for an example of that.

So, sure, I can see why you'd assume other groups would do the same.

Adam,

Would you be willing to dig up the bug report on webkit that documented
your attempts
to satisfy javascript: urls in embedding?

I did a little bit of poking around, but didn't find it.

I agree that data-uris are much easier/preferable, but I'd still like to
see where the conversation went
on the webkit dev list and/or bug list.

-Charles