[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

Nicholas Zakas nzakas at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Feb 14 07:28:10 PST 2011

Earlier feedback on this list was that people didn't want to define readyState or onreadystatechange for script elements, which is why I changed my proposal the way that I did. Unless people's opinions have changed on that, I'm not sure why we're still talking about a readyState-based approach (and if it has changed, why not talk about my original proposal as well?). I also removed execute() for the same reason, the general feedback seemed to be that it introduced complexity even though I thought it was a bit more explicit.

You may be correct in that people may never want to set preload to false. You'll note that I put in my proposal that an alternate approach would be for preload to be set to true by default. This would allow even easier feature detection:

if (script.preload){
    //do the preload way
}

So if browsers want that to be the default, this would act as a flag indicating that the new functionality is available.

I think changing the behavior of dynamic script elements to match IE's isn't a bad idea, but we need at least two additional things:

1) A definitive way to determine that this behavior is present (earlier in this thread, people seemed to agree that an explicit feature detect was important)
2) An event that allows us to know when the script is downloaded and ready for execution

In any case, I don't believe readyState/onreadystatechange fulfills both of those.

-N