[whatwg] Cryptographically strong random numbers

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Feb 16 11:36:18 PST 2011

I agree with this sentiment, the specification should simply state "the returned values are guaranteed to be cryptographically secure", that's all that needs to be said.  There is no need to describe how this is implemented, if an implementation provides predictable values then that implementation is broken.  If your prng has low entropy it is not cryptographically secure, and therefore broken.  How you get to cryptographically secure isn't really relevant as long as you can get there*.

This is of course entirely ignoring timing attacks, and other such side channels.

--Oliver

* If a platform can't provide cryptographically secure random i'd be concerned about that implementation being web facing as i would be dubious of the theoretical security of its SSL implementation, etc.