[whatwg] Websockets Client API

Bruce Atherton bruce at callenish.com
Sun Feb 20 17:34:37 PST 2011

On 20/02/2011 2:57 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> It's not magic, the spec is perfectly clear. The language about "queuing a
> task" ensures that any callback events fire after the current task (e.g. the
> script event handler that created the Websocket connection) has run to
> completion.

Perhaps you are reading a different spec than I am. The only language I
see about queuing tasks involves changing the ready state on the
Websocket object. There is nothing in there about waiting until a block
of other Javascript code has run before making any other event callbacks.

Let me see if I follow the "perfectly clear" line of reasoning you are
using. Your assumption is that a Websocket connection will only be
loaded in an event handler like window.onload. No other events will be
delivered until the current event handler finishes. And the event
handler that creates the Websocket object will necessarily also be where
the event handlers are set on the Websocket object. By making all of
these assumptions, it becomes obvious that within a browser this API is
safe for callbacks. Do I have that right?

I am reminded of a joke about mathematicians. One argues that it is
obvious that claim A follows from B. The other disagrees. After arguing
for an hour, the latter finally agrees that A obviously follows from B.