[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

Will Alexander serverherder+whatwg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:21:10 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> Uh... In that situation I would expect the event handler to
>  keep the script alive until the load finishes.
> Anything else is just a bug that exposes GC timing to the web page.

Yes, quite strange. It's fixed in IE9  (at least my test no longer
fails) so clearly considered  a bug.

> IE shows ... bad memory behavior

To your original point, Boris, if there's no way to reclaim the memory
for a pre-fetched script _until_ its executed, then even legitimate
use-cases (e.g. pre-fetching auto-completion data) by "responsible"
authors would be of concern.

Would a means by which authors can mark a pre-fetched script as
"stale" allay some of your concerns?  Is there some way to accomplish
this in Gecko now for a pre-fetched Image?