[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 22 18:24:45 PST 2011

On 2/22/11 8:54 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> 3. My (and Nicholas's previous) proposal: Script elements are fetched when
> inserted into the DOM[1].  An event is dispatched when the script has been
> fetched, eg. "onfetch" or "onpreload"[2].  A "preload" attribute is added;
> when true, the script will not be executed when the fetch completes; call
> script.execute() to run the script.

I strongly prefer this proposal to either of the other two, for what
it's worth.  Is the concern that this doesn't degrade as nicely in UAs
that don't support preload or something?  If not, what _are_ the
arguments against this proposal?  Links to existing discussion are fine
if this ground was already covered.

-Boris