[whatwg] Optional non-blocking mode for simple dialogs (alert, confirm, prompt).

Bjartur Thorlacius svartman95 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 09:52:42 PST 2011

On 2/27/11, Justin Dolske <dolske at mozilla.com> wrote:
> But more generally, I wonder if it's worth bothering with now... It's
> pretty common for web pages to just implement their own custom
> in-content dialogs (floating divs, really), which they have far greater
> control over. And starting with Firefox 4, we're making these prompts
> tab-modal and non-native looking, so there's not much to be gained by
> having the UA provide these. [Other than the side-effects of entering a
Uhm, why make them look alien?
I don't like the notion of such prompts being injected into the DOM. I
guess I need more Web 2.0&HTML5 cool-aid.

Can't we extend the existing window.status?
It's supported by some older UAs (and ignored by others, because of
confusing UI), but if the UI distinguishes page messages from browser
and system messages, it's usable (aside from a historical API, but if
browsers ignore setting the window.status to the empty string).