[whatwg] Specification of window.find()

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Fri Jan 7 05:32:08 PST 2011

On 01/06/2011 10:53 PM, ext Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, benjamin.poulain at nokia.com wrote:
>> I would like to suggest a change for the main HTML 5 specification:
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
>>
>> The problem I have is with the Window object specification
>> (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-window-object ).
>> It does not mention the method find() which can be found on most engines
>> (e.g.: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.find ).
>
> It looks like IE doesn't implement this, so it's probably not strictly
> required for compat with the Web.
>
> What are the use cases for this feature?

I do not know the original use case but I can think of a few:
-on mobile devices which have a find dialog but no user interface to
access it, make the find dialog appear
-on mobile devices which do not have a find dialog, add one for you
document if pertinent
-add search feature in a frame. Searching between frames with the
browser builtin dialog is usually not doing was user expect

On IE, users usually emulate the feature with TextRange
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535872%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

cheers,
Benjamin